At HelpHero we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control the personal information that we store.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who we are and what this policy covers
At HelpHero our mission is to make it easy for anyone to add great help and onboarding experiences to their websites. HelpHero provides a platform that empowers product and marketing teams to create amazing onboarding experiences without having to involve engineering.
- Our websites (including helphero.co and hlp.sh);
- Our chrome extension.
- Our scripts that you add to your website.
Information we collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We never sell this information to third parties.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information you provide to us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic account information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, to sign up for a HelpHero.co account you need to provide a name, email address and application/project name and that’s it.
- Transaction and billing information: If you subscribe to a plan you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information. This information is not stored on our servers it is stored by Stripe.
- Content information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in draft and published content. For example, if you write tour that includes information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet if you choose to publish the tour. This might be obvious to you… but it’s not to everyone!
- Our Chrome extension: When you are using the HelpHero Chrome extension, we save your preferences such as what websites you want the HelpHero Editor to show on and any information you explicitly enter such as tours and theming customization. We determine whether or not to show the HelpHero Editor based on the website URL you are currently visiting, but we never store or transmit your browser history.
- Communications with us (hi there!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our Happiness Engineers about a support question, or post a question about your site in our public forums.
Information we collect automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you create or make changes to your tours.
- Usage information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that users perform when viewing tours–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing (e.g., [id of user] started “[id of tour]” at [time/date]). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
Information we collect from other sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your HelpHero.co account through another service (like Google). The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
How and why we use information
Purposes for using information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, host your tours, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their tours more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of HelpHero and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by HelpHero and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on HelpHero and our products; and
Legal bases for collecting and using information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
How we share information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third party vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you, those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers), who may need information about you in order to, for example, provide technical or other support services to you. We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To protect rights, property, and others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of HelpHero, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With your consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
- Aggregated or de-identified information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
- Published support requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
How long we keep information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and why we use information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to HelpHero’s website, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to HelpHero’s website and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our services.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the information that you provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of electronic communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Close your account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our Services :( :( :( :(, you can close your HelpHero account. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above–for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
Your California privacy rights
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and responsible companies
Cloudling Limited, our NZ-based operating company, is the controller of the processing activities across all of our Services worldwide.
4 Kapanui Street
How to reach us
Other things you should know (keep reading!)
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
Visitors to our users’ websites
HelpHero is owned and operated by Cloudling Limited.
That’s it! Thanks for reading.